Friday, October 30, 2015

Considering Types

In the following post, I will be reflecting on the information provided in the "Five Basic Types of Public Argument" Box from the Rules for Writers textbook.

Hain, John "Conflict, Disagreement, Discussion" 10/29/2014 via pixabay. CC0 Public Domain License.


Causal Argument 


I believe the best argument for my project would be the Causal Argument. The textbook description of this argument mentioned, "...[rebutting] or [contradicting] the arguments in favor of other causes." This is exactly what I have planned to do in my argument. I want to argue that circumcision has stemmed from ancient practices dictated by multiple religions, not medical facts; and, as such, its credibility in the modern world should be reconsidered. Because I am aiming to get my audience to "reconsider" and not actually change their minds about circumcision, I believe this would be the best form of argument for my project.



Evaluative Argument


Another possibility for my argument would be the Evaluative Argument. Though it's not what I originally planned, I can definitely see using this type of argument to evaluate the general effectiveness of circumcision in today's society while drawing on its religious history. The reason I am not entirely sold on this argument is because I can't think of a "single policy" that I would be arguing in favor for. 



Others

I don't see the other types of arguments working for my purposes. I do not favor either side of the circumcision debate, I simply favor the medical implications. As such, I don't think I could adequately make a Position Argument and Proposal Argument.



Reflection


Below are links to the two classmates' blogs I reflected on:

Kelly's -- My Rhetorical Action Plan & Considering Types

Nick's -- My Rhetorical Action Plan & Considering Types

I thought it was very interesting seeing which types/methods Kelly and Nick were considering. In Nick's blog, he seemed to be very well-equipped with any of the methods. This was very different from my topic, as I found the only true fit was in the causal argument. Kelly's blog was very similar to this, she had many possible routes, though seemed confident in one in particular. I would like to see if I can mold my argument into a few more of the argument types. Though I prefer causal and still think it will work best for my Project 3, I would like to explore the other available options.

As a general note, I also found the various ways in which we were applying our arguments to Project 3 interesting. Kelly and Nick seem very confident in their topics, whereas I shifted to a different aspect of my topic from what I discussed in Project 1 and 2. I will be interested to read all of our final products.


2 comments:

  1. You chose a tough controversy. Like you stated a few times in your rhetorical action plan, you will need to be extremely persuasive to get your audience to even read the entirety of your argument. A casual argument seems to fit your purpose the best, like you stated. It seems like no amount of persuasion can change minds on this subject. Getting your audience to simply "reconsider" doesn't change anything. It's not an easy task. Your controversy doesn't have an active moderate viewpoint either, so you have to challenge a centuries-old tradition to the people that practice it.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    From reading about your rhetorical action plan I agree that the casual argument might be the most useful for you to use. I also am trying to use my public argument to educate my audience not necessarily convince them to side a certain way I think the casual argument is the most useful. From my interpretation the casual argument presents the facts without forcing the rationale onto someone. Because your topic is challenging deeply held beliefs I think your audience would not respond well if you did in fact try to force your opinion through your argument. So, it sounds like you have identified the best course of action, good luck!

    ReplyDelete