Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Analyzing My Genre

In the following post, I will be analyzing my genre by answering the "Questions for Genre Analysis" provided in the Rules for Writers textbook.

LiteratureReviewHQ "I'm so clever" 1/10/2013 via flickr. Attribution 2.0 Generic License.

Example Documentaries



Social Context

Where is the genre typically set?

I found two prominent locations for the documentary genre. BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) and PBS (Public Broadcasting System). Both are distinguished, credible sources for esteemed documentaries.

What is the subject of the genre? 

PBS has documentaries covering a variety of topics, some historical in nature and others scientific. I found with BBC that a majority (or at least the majority that I looked at) were largely medical-based.

Who uses the genre?

I believe documentaries are fairly universal in nature. I have known of BBC and PBS long before this Project. I think documentaries are a quick way to inform the public about a sometimes lengthy topic.

When and why is the genre used? What purposes does the genre serve for the people who use it?

I can recall multiple times when I've had teachers utilize documentaries in class. They also air routinely on television. Documentaries serve to teach the audience of a valuable topic. Oftentimes, this genre condenses the information, teaching only what the audience will understand.


Rhetorical Patterns of the Genre

What type of content is usually included and excluded?

Documentaries often include visual stimulation to help interest the audience and solidify the facts that are being present. This genre excludes most conventions present in your average essay, attempting to add an element of excitement to learning.

What rhetorical appeals are used most often? Do you notice any patterns in the appeals to logos, pathos or ethos?

Documentaries rely largely on facts. However, they also try to indirectly sway viewers with interviews, experiences and emotional stories. All three rhetorical appeals are utilized.

How are the texts organized? Do they generally open in similar ways? Conclude in similar ways? What common parts do the samples share?

Documentaries generally start with a very informative introduction, to "ground" the audience. Though they can conclude in many ways, they often leave off by asking the audience a question, or alluding to the bigger picture. The samples are all very consistent with their conclusions, posing the audience with a question that refers to a more broad topic.


Do sentences in the genre share a certain style? Are they mostly active, passive, simple or complex? Is there an abundance or lack of questions, exclamation points, or semi-colons?

As documentaries are entirely narrative, the questions the text itself are irrelevant. However, the narration is oftentimes active in an attempt to rouse the audience to question or consider the topic at hand.

What type of word choice is used? Do many of the words fit in a particular category of jargon or slang? Is the overall effect of the word choice formal, informal, humorous, or academic?

The word choice is formal and intelligent, though not too complex for the audience to understand. The word choice will fit into the jargon/slang as the topic befits. The best way to describe the word choice would be semi-formally academic.


Analyze What those Patterns Reveal about the Social Context of the Genre

Who does the genre include and who does it exclude?

I think documentaries target a wide variety of audiences. Though I don't think a documentary on neuroscience would attract a world-renowned neuroscientist, I do think anyone even remotely curious on a topic will be interested in watching a documentary on that topic.

What roles for writers and readers does the genre encourage?

I'd say the biggest role the genre encourages is awareness. Documentaries don't often try to urge viewers to take action, etc. 

What values and beliefs are assumed about or encouraged from users of the genre?

Users of the genre assume the audience will have an interest in the topic they are addressing. As documentaries don't attempt to sway their audience's opinions, they don't assume any beliefs from their audience.

What content does the genre treat as most valuable? Least valuable?

Documentaries value facts and stories as a way to communicate information. Inversely, they do note value any way that portrays information bleakly, such as lengthy ideas and hard to understand topics/facts.



Reflection

The posts I read: Isabel's post    &    Kelly's post

Looking through my classmates' posts, I found that many are writing within related genres. Both Kelly and Isabel are utilizing genres in journal articles and oftentimes online. I also considered this as my genre, but settled on a documentary in most ways to "switch things up." I also really love, in addition to writing, creating video-related content. I'm excited for this project, and hope I can adequately portray the information from my topic into a video. However, it makes sense to me that most argumentative pieces of writing are found in journal articles. 

2 comments:

  1. I think it is so cool that you are doing a documentary! I never would have thought of that. I agree that documentaries are meant for less knowledgable audiences, but I think a lot of experts watch documentaries in their field to stay current on what is being published and studied. It will be interesting to see your final product, but this blog post is a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    From reading about your genre I think are some similarities to my genre, the blog. To me it seems like both genres are really used to educate the audience on a specific topic as opposed to rallying them to take action. I also feel like both of our genres are really accessible to people whether they're very interested in the topic or only slightly. I think it's really interesting that you decided to make your argument as a documentary, and I'm really excited to see it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete