Wednesday, October 28, 2015

My Rhetorical Action Plan

In the following post, I will present my plan for Project 3 by answering the "Developing a Rhetorical Action Plan" questions in the Rules for Writers textbook.

Geralt "Business Idea Planning" 3/28/2015 via pixabay. CC0 Public Domain License.



Audience 

I am going to try and persuade my audience to reconsider the implications of circumcision in the world of modern medicine.

Knowledge - My audience's knowledge on circumcision in neonates comes from tradition. As such, their predisposition is to support circumcision merely because it has been a routine practice since the ancient world. This is something that I will be focusing on heavily in my argument. 

Values - My audience holds religious values and, as such, place a lot of importance in what religion dictates in terms of circumcision. On another note, however, they also value the safety of their child. 

Standards of Argument - Medical facts are always beneficial in an argument trying to discredit a medical procedure. I, however, attempting to add something new to the controversy, am going to piece together the religious background of the controversy, and analyze it on an historical context. As such, I will have to translate and condense the historical information I present into an easily understood format.

Visual Elements - As I can't get too graphic with my topic, I believe that in order to tastefully incorporate visual images, I will have to take from ancient paintings. I also plan to make the presentation of my argument aesthetically pleasing, whatever form I decide to present it in. 

Purpose - I will be challenging a long-held tradition. As such, my purpose is to raise awareness in my audience. I do not want to force their opinion to change, rather, I wan't them to be aware of all the necessary information for them to make an intelligent and informed decision on the circumcision of their child. 



Genre

1. Scholarly Journals -- Articles

All of the research I've done for the past two projects has consisted entirely of scholarly articles. As such, I am considering first and foremost of writing in this genre. 

Two examples of the scholarly genre are linked here:
From the Indian Journal of Sexually Transmitted Diseases -- Circumcision 
From The Objective Standard -- Circumcision in America

Function - This genre enables me to communicate historical, religious and medical facts without the political controversy that might be associated with other genres. It's intended to reach a at least somewhat medically advanced audience. The topic will be taken seriously in this genre.

Setting - This genre would (as seen above) be in a medical/renowned journal of some sort. This could theoretical be anywhere.

Rhetorical Appeals - As I haven chosen to argue against circumcision and religion, I will have to be very persuasive. I plan on incorporating all of the rhetorical appeals, focusing heavily on pathos and logos. With ethos, I can question the ethics of circumcision, etc.

Visual Elements - In the many scholarly articles I looked at, there were oftentimes charts and graphs to make data more understandable. I would like to somehow incorporate such graphs in my argument.

Style - The style will definitely be formal.


2. Documentaries 

I'm not sure this would exactly fulfill the requirements of the project, but I believe a documentary would adequately portray the information/argument I am focusing on. I plan to focus on the religious and historical roots/background of circumcision. Documentaries often accomplish similar goals.

Two examples of the documentary genre are linked here:
BBC documentary -- Circumcise Me?
Michael Schaap documentary -- Mom, Why Did You Circumcise Me?

Function - Documentaries provide historical background to an argument. My plan is to utilize the historical and religious background of circumcision to discredit as a modern practice.

Setting - Documentaries are produced by filmmaking companies. BBC (mentioned above) is a very popular source for documentaries.

Rhetorical Appeals - I think documentaries, in large part, convey information through ethos. Visually, documentaries provide more than just words to illicit certain responses from the audience.

Visual Elements - Documentaries are 100% visual. Every element would be visual, and equally as important as the narration.

Style - I believe this genre would need to be academic. Documentaries don't always narrate in the most formal, advanced sentences, but they are always extremely informative.


Positive Reactions 

1. Realization that the practice of circumcision may have fallen out of style in the modern world.
2. Consideration of the ethical implications of circumcision.
3. Consideration of the medical implications of circumcision.


Negative Rebuttals

1. Religion is an important part of some people's lives, medical evidence against it will not change people's faith. 
          -I'm not sure there's a way to refute this point. My defense, rather, would be that I am not trying to impose on someone's religions, but just open their eyes to religion in the modern world.
2. Not enough medical evidence has discredited circumcision completely yet.
          -Yes, but many studies are in the process of doing so.
3. In terms of ethics: Circumcision becomes more painful the longer someone waits, which is what will happen if it's not performed at birth.
          -Yes, but pain is not a good rebuttal when it comes to altering a child's life forever with one decision. 

2 comments:

  1. Your rhetorical plan is mapped out very nicely. I like how you included two different genres as well as examples of those genres. That will help when you start drafting. Also, both of our rhetoric devices involve using logic because both of our topics are in science. I feel as though credible and scientific evidence is the most effective way to support scientific controversies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I really enjoyed reading your rhetorical plan, most due to the organization of your ideas. I liked how you included two types of genres as well as numerous examples explaining your meaning for each. I am glad you recognize the need for logical based appeals in your projects due to the scientific aspect of the topic. The more statistical evidence you present the stronger your argument will become.

    ReplyDelete