Thursday, October 1, 2015

Analyzing My Own Assumptions

In the following post, I will be considering my own values and beliefs as they relate to my chosen article, focusing on the questions presented in Writing Public Lives.

Dangerslice, Dando. "Belief Venn Diagram" 3/6/2008 via Wikipedia Commons. CC0 Public Domain License. 

Analyzing the Text's Relationship to Our Own Cultural Assumptions


What cultural or social values, beliefs, etc., do you share with the society or culture in which the text was written? Why have they endured?


I wouldn't say I have much in common with the general topic of the article I chose. What I saw as being relevant to my field and controversy was the question of whether circumcision on neonatal males is an ethical decision. The rest I simply found interesting as a student interested in medicine. I, ultimately, am a part of the society that he accused of being ignorant in the article.



What cultural or social values, beliefs, etc., do you not share? Why not?


I share the concern for the ethicality of performing circumcisions on neonate males, who have no power over the decision; and, as such, cannot be informed of the risks associated with the procedure. The question of ethics was the focus of my Quick Reference Guide. There are obvious reasons for performing circumcisions at such a young age. Even considering this, there are still questionable ethics involved in the process.



If the text is written in a culture distant or different from your own, what social values, beliefs, etc., connect to or reflect our own culture? What social values, beliefs, etc., can we not see in our own culture?


The difference in my own personal culture is the fact that I am a female and not exactly drastically affected by this issue. This issue however is still relevant in the "family" setting. The decision is made of behalf of the parents, and as such, is relevant in every society that currently encourages circumcision. 




If the text is written in your culture but in a different historical time, how have the social values, beliefs, etc., developed or changed over time?


The article I chose was published seven years ago. As such, the argument against circumcision, as it's presented in the article, are still relevant in today's medical society. Earlier dated articles from the same source still present the information in much the same way as the one I selected for my Project.



Reflection

Reading Dylan and Savannah's posts, I realized that I am fairly unbiased in my chosen article. This, honestly, makes sense, as I cannot exactly say I personally register with the topic of circumcision. My only form of bias is in the fact that I am concerned with the ethics of the practice (as suits my field). However, I do not think this is enough to consider myself drastically biased. I chose this article because it is a dominate concern in my field; and, as such, had many argumentative articles associated with it. My interest and "beliefs" do not extend much past that. 

3 comments:

  1. I like how your article is similar to mine in the fact of letting the parents decide the fate of the child. I do not think it's fair to let it be up to them; however, it is the only way. I also agree that it is hard to relate because we aren't males, so we do not know what it is like to be circumcised or how it affects a male. I do think this will be an interesting topic to further research though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    From reading your analysis I think your project is going to be really interesting to read. I find debates over ethics are typically very opinionated on both sides, and because there is so much gray area between the two sides it is incredibly difficult to pick a single, correct side. Also, like you mentioned in your reflection you're lack of a strong bias in one direction will improve the quality of your evaluation. With my text there is a single statement my author made that I highly disagree with, and I think I will have to control myself to ensure that the bias does not affect the evaluation I am able to produce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your article I found that the answers to our questions were a bit similar. We both have fairly recent controversies in the medical field. I enjoyed reading yours because it's on the topic of ethics. While reading yours I wondered when the appropriate age would be for the male himself to decide whether he would like to be circumcised. The answers to your questions were the perfect length and I think you answered them very nicely.

    ReplyDelete