Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Analyzing My Audience

In the following post, I will be considering the intended audience of my article by answering the questions in "Identifying Your Audience" from the Student's Guide reading.

phegenbart. "Theater Seating" 10/6/15 via pixabay. CC0 Public Domain License.

Who am I writing for? What are the audience's beliefs and assumptions?

I, specifically, am writing for new students in my field who are struggling to understand how to construct an argument in said field.

The author's purposes/intended audience, however, is for anyone who can be classified as being "ignorant" of the case against circumcision. More specifically, parents, society and doctors still following the practice of circumcision. This audience's assumptions (perceived by the author to be mislead) are that the practice of circumcision is a beneficial, safe practice to perform on neonates. 


What position might they take on this issue? How will I need to respond to this position?

Though our audience consists of new students, I don't believe this is what this question refers to. I don't care how my audience will react to the issue.

The author claims that the audience will attempt to ignore the "reality" of circumcision, as their egos are wounded by having been deceived, or even, having had circumcisions themselves. I will need to include this possible viewpoint, and the way the author elicits it within my rhetorical analysis of the article. 


What will they want to know?

The audience (both my audience and the author's intended audience) will want to know the credentials of the author: Why exactly he can be respected/believed in the accusations he is making against such a universally accepted practice. Also along this note, they will also want to know what encouraged to author to speak so emphatically against the practice: A specific event? A prolonged series of events?


How might they react to my argument?

I will be analyzing the article, not supporting or rejecting the argument. My goal, as stated in the Project 2 Guide, is to portray how someone in my field might construct an argument. As such, I'm hoping my "audience" finds itself well-informed. 


How am I trying to relate to or connect with my audience?

I am trying to relate to my audience as a fellow "colleague" so to speak, while still remaining detached from the argument - avoiding a writing style similar to debate. I will be relating the information in a formal, intellectual way, as fits the genre (essay). I will connect with my audience by appearing as a knowledgeable figure. 


Are there specific words, ideas, or modes of presentation that will help me relate to them in this way?

I will have to write in a way that portrays me as being well-versed in my field and the subject of the article. This will involve correct medical vocabulary, accurate depictions of medical procedures, and overall an intelligent understanding of the article and the topic it covers.


Reflection

I saw very different methods/approaches to answering the questions in the two posts I read. 

In Jayni's post, I saw a lot of similarities to my own. We both answered the questions considering that our ultimate audience is a group of students, struggling to understand how to construct an argument in our fields. Our answers, apart from the specific facts associated with each of our articles were much the same.

I saw the exact opposite in Isabel's post. She viewed the audience as the people who are generally interested in her field. Her descriptions were very informative about those specific people. Ultimately, I think both methods of answering will be helpful in composing our essay.  

2 comments:

  1. I think you may have misunderstood who the audience is, which is what I did when I started this blog post. I believe the article is based on YOUR audience, not the target audience of the article you're analyzing. So in this case, your audience would be new students in your discipline who are confused about the rhetorical strategies utilized by your major.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I agree with Kelly's comment above about the audience, but I also had a suggestion about the possible stances that the audience could take. I'm not sure on the specific, but I believe that there are some religions that require or suggest circumcisions. Therefore, if your reader happens to be from this particular religion they may come into reading the article with a different viewpoint than someone who is not of this religion. I think in order to maybe lessen the impact that religious beliefs could have would be to keep your evaluation logical and focus on the logical side of the argument.

    ReplyDelete