Monday, September 14, 2015

Thoughts on Drafting

In the post below I will reflect on my QRG drafting process, emphasizing the differences in the drafting suggestions as mentioned in the Student's Guide reading.

Gerry, Elbridge. "Backspace." 6/4/2010 via Wikipedia Commons. Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 2.5 Generic.


What parts of this book's advice on the drafting process are helpful for writing in this genre?


Drafting a Thesis Statement

I found the book's advice on developing a strong thesis very helpful and applicable in the Quick Reference Guide genre. They emphasized that, ultimately, the thesis is a "promise" we as writers are making to the reader about the contents of the paper. This correlates very well with the QRG genre, as a QRG is, simply put, a "promise" of information. A strong thesis is necessary for a successful Quick Reference Guide. 

Writing Introductions

The book made a point of emphasizing that an introduction will be unique to the style of writing. The Quick Reference Guide genre is like any ordinary essay in the fact that it does require a well-developed, attention-grabbing introduction. I believe the book's advice was very helpful in this aspect. 

Organizing Information

Much like the Writing Introductions category, the book described a pieces' organization as not being a single, one-size-fits-all scenario. Their emphasis was on organizing your writing in a purposeful way, considering the logos of your argument. I think this is very wise advice in this genre, as the most purposeful organization for a QRG is very guided and easy to follow. 



What parts of this book's advice on the drafting process are not helpful for writing in this genre?


Writing paragraphs in PIE format

Quick Reference Guides (like blogging) are not reminiscent of the typical essay-informative style, with long paragraphs, focusing on detailed explanations. One of the most important conventions of a QRG is a concise, simplistic form of writing. Elaborate explanations, as dictated by the PIE format, are not ideal in this genre.  

Writing Conclusions 

I had a harder time deciding where to place this category. Ultimately, I decided to define it as less helpful than the others. The book's description of a conclusion involved a lot 'reinforcing' the opinion/idea you were claiming in the writing. This is not the purpose of a QRG. A good QRG is meant to abstain from giving any opinions, and simply state the facts. As such, the conclusion should be formatted somewhat differently than the book's suggestions.


Reflection
In Kelly and Morgan's posts, I learned that it is very easy to have differences of opinion when it comes to writing. As our explanations and classifications differed both drastically and slightly, I saw that much of the conventions of any genre are greatly created and affected by the author.

When it comes to my QRG, I believe the following need attention:
1. I generally just need to sit down and read the whole thing again. I'm sure it was probably making perfect sense to me the day I wrote it, because it was all I had been doing that day. After a few days away from it, I think this would be very beneficial to me.
2. I finished writing my QRG feeling as if I hadn't incorporated enough information. My controversy is very broad, so I was having a hard time doing so. With more time though, I sure I could fine some common ground between too little and too much.
3. On a less "overall" point of view, I would also like to improve the formatting and general appearance of my QRG. I feel my creative was kind of lost in my focus on the facts and writing. Now that the heavy-lifting is out of the way, I would like to focus on the artsy side of the genre. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with what parts of the book you found helpful. In addition, I agree that the PIE format is unnecessary for a QRG. However, I included a conclusion in my QRG so I found the book to be helpful. I like how you constructed this blog post because it is easy to follow and explains your information well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you included organization in the "helpful" category. While the book did focus more on how to organize an essay, you're right that its point about purpose is applicable to QRGs. I agree with Savannah; I like the way you set up this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We set up our posts pretty similar. I liked this way because it almost fits the genre of a real QRG. I agree with having a difficult time deciding what to think about conclusions. I also put it down as less helpful because I feel like QRGs don't stress the importance of a conclusion like traditional essays do. You did a great job on this post!

    ReplyDelete