Friday, September 18, 2015

Reflection on Project 1 Draft

In the post below I will be analyze the comments of my peers on the first draft of my Quick Reference Guide, focusing particularly on the categories "Audience" and "Context."

innoxiuss. "The Thinker Musee Rodin" 11/24/2006 via WikipediaCommons. Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License. 

I read Morgan and Ayra's first draft QRGs and provided feedback on areas that I considered in need of slight improvement.

Audience
Who specifically, is going to be reading this essay? Who am I trying to reach with my arguments?
Having a classmate read my QRG has really helped me with this problem. Kelly, who read and commented on my QRG was very helpful in "putting my back in place" so to speak.

What are their values and expectations? Am I adequately meeting those expectations?
From Kelly's comments, I do believe I did fairly well in this category. I don't think it's one I will need to be focusing on further on in the drafting process.

How much information do I need to give my audience? How much background information or context should I provide for them without insulting their experience?
Kelly mentioned that I have maybe too many long quotes. I see this as me most likely providing more information than necessary (as I'm prone to do in any form of writing). I will definitely be working on this.

What tone should I use with my audience? Do I use this tone consistently throughout the draft?
I also received a few comments on words and phrasing that made the QRG harder to read because they were a little too formal. Formal is definitely my preferred style of writing, so I will have to focus on this one specifically.


Context
What are the formatting requirements of the assignment? Do I meet them?
I tried very hard in my draft to make my QRG aesthetically pleasing. I'm not familiar with Google Docs, so I would still like to explore more with the system. So far, so good though.

What are the content requirements for the assignment? Do I meet them?
I will definitely be looking over the requirements repeatedly in the last steps of this module. For the step in the process that we are currently in, I believe I have provided all requirements adequately.

Does my draft reflect knowledge or skills gained in class in addition to my own ideas and voice?
The comments I received were all mainly focused on being too wordy and confusing in a few sentence structure. I do believe I laid all the information based on my knowledge out there, I just need to work on how I conveyed that information.

Have I addressed any grammatical issues that my teacher highlighted in class or in my previously-graded assignments?
The only grammatical critique I received was on words and phrases that made the sentences too confusing. I will be working to fix these flaws.


Overall, this entire process has been extremely helpful. Kelly did a great job providing me with constructive feedback. I found myself nodding my head in agreement with everything she suggested. I'm very happy she had the chance to look over my paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment