Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Clarity, Part 2

In the following post, I will analyze four more topics to help me improve my writing process and style, focusing on how these topics can help me edit my Quick Reference Guide.

Cartagena, Debora. "Magnifying Glass" 4/23/2015 via Public Domain Image. Public Domain CC0 License.

Sections I Read

Untangle Mixed Constructions 

Choose Appropriate Language

Repair Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers

Emphasize Key Ideas



With the topics I selected this time, I intend to target areas of my writing that I don't necessarily consider to be in dire need of improvement. At this point in the drafting process, I believe it is best to focus on fine-tuning my QRG. 

Reading the Rules for Writers' excerpts on these topics, I learned many specific rules and suggestions for good writing habits. In the Untangle Mixed Constructions section, the book stated that this can either be present grammatically or logically. For my writing style and issues specifically, I believe it applies to me more logically. 

The other categories taught me more simplistic grammatical skills. Generally, they were aimed to improve the flow of a piece of writing. I definitely think this is important in a QRG, so I will make sure to very carefully look for this skills.


After Drafting

After editing my draft several times, I confirmed what I had mentioned above. I am prone to 'mixed constructions,' on the logical level. The most drastic edits I made to my paper included rearranging sentences (and sometimes whole paragraphs) to more accurately portray information (untangling so to speak). 

The following example is of a flaw in Emphasizing Key Ideas. I was informed during peer-editing that this was somewhat vague and unclear.  

They are unique in the fact that they cannot respond to stimuli in the traditional sense.


The following example is of a flaw in Choosing Appropriate Language. Also during peer-editing, I was informed that this sentence was somewhat contradictory and needed to worded differently.

Research and interrogation of statistics and morality propose a very controversial question to the neonatal profession.


No comments:

Post a Comment