Monday, August 31, 2015

My Discipline

My intention is to major in nursing in order to become a Neonatal Nurse, working with at risk infants after their birth. Below is information on my intended field of study as well as my thoughts and feelings on this occupation. 

Jacoplane. "Neonatal Jacoplane" 10/14/2006 via Wikipedia CC0 Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.


What do students in your program learn how to do?
The basis for becoming a Neonatal Nurse is to first become a Registered Nurse (RN). As an RN, you have many responsibilities. Generally speaking, Registered Nurses will specialize in a particular area (neonatal nursing in my case). As Registered Nurses can specialize in almost any area of medicine, they must have an extensive knowledge of anatomy and physiology, nutrition, statistics, biology, chemistry and MOST importantly, compassion. 

Becoming an RN requires four years of schooling (ie. a Bachelor's Degree). My plan is to become an RN and (hopefully) immediately start work in order to sooner pay off my student loans. After a few years familiarizing myself in this position, I hope to return to school to receive a Masters of Science in Nursing (another two years of schooling), enabling me to be a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner (both a higher paying and higher responsibility job).


What do people who get degrees in this field usually go on to do for work?
A degree in nursing provides you to go almost anywhere. Nurses are very widespread and needed universally. You'll find nurses in personal physician offices, hospitals, retirement homes, and many more places. 


What drew you to this field? 
I personally love children (and babies in particular), so what could be a better fit for me? I also wanted to be a part of a career that felt meaningful, which (in my case), meant avoiding a desk job. The birth of a child is a very important part of a family's life, and I will love being a part of another family's happiness. 


Who are the leaders/most exciting people involved in your field right now? Why?
Johnson & Johnson Discover Nursing is a corporation heavily involved in the nursing field. This corporation provides guidance for those looking to enter into the nursing field. They also give statistics as to the future outlook of the profession and, generally, everything you could need to successfully pursue a career in nursing. 

There are innumerable corporations similarly designed to improve and broaden the nursing field. Another popular corporation is the National Association of Neonatal Nurses, which focuses in particular on neonatal nursing. It also aims to assist all those considering pursuing this career. 


What are the leading academic/scholarly journals in your field? Where are they published? 
An important source of information for any medical career is Clinical Key, a search engine specific to the healthcare field. It provides readers with the mot professional articles and studies viable to their search. They have offices internationally and are owned by Elsevier Inc. 

The Journal of Nursing & Care is another popular academic source. They are similarly represented nationally, owned and operated by OMICS International

The last noteworthy journal is also owned by Elsevier Inc., known as the Journal of Neonatal Nursing. This is a hard-copy journal, published in New York, NY. 

Reflection
College, unlike Highschool, is our first opportunity to start out on the path to our career, our "final destination" so to speak. Reading my classmates' choices was intriguing and inspiring. It's strange to think that, though we all similarly started out in a Kindergarten classroom, we are now branching out into areas of society that are all succinctly unique.

In Brandon's post, I learned about his intentions to pursue the field of neuroscience. His story behind his decision is very inspiring and much more grandiose than my own. I found a very critical difference between myself and my classmates in Brandon's post. We all have unique reasons as to why we have chosen our field. For some, it is personal; for others, it is a calculated decision.

In Jessica's post, I saw another unique aspect of college. Though prerequisites will always be a burden universally shared by all college students, the different course-loads past this point are very different. As a student pursuing architecture, Jessica's schedule is filled with history and art requirements, whereas mine, as a nursing major, is in large part science and health. Just as the field is unique to the person, the classes are unique to the field.  
 

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it interesting to learn that we both aim to pursue a career in the medical field. My major is physiology. I was excited to see you reference the topic in your post. It's cool that we will be studying similar topics! I learned a lot about the personal qualities/criteria specific to pursing a career as a neonatal nurse. Before reading your post, my knowledge on the career was pretty minimal. The only question you left me with is: How many years of school will it take you to reach your career goal? I am sure that the answer to this question is a quick google search away. Good luck with your classes, I'm sure that if you work diligently, you will be able to reach your goal of becoming a neonatal nurse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing that out to me! I will definitely be sure to add that, as it is pretty important!

      Delete
  3. I've always found the medical field so interesting and engaging. You guys learn so much and know so much about how people function and just generally what is going on with the world. I find it awesome that you can diagnose people based solely on how their body is changing and know exactly how to fix them, maybe thats just from me watching House to much. But specializing as a neonatal nurse sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I'm also interested in the medical field. I'll be majoring in physiology. I admire you for aspiring to go into working with infants at risk as I feel that could be a very emotionally stressful job as well as physically at times. You're very right about compassion being the most important quality when doing work like this. I plan on being a physical therapist which also requires extra schooling so I'm in the same boat as you there. I wish you the best of luck on your studies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your desire to heal the most precious form of human life is truly honorable. I too hope to dive into the medical world, becoming a Neurologist, and share that urge to heal the sick and decrepit. But your hope to be involved in the most important and life changing struggle faced in the medical world is fantastic. Not only are you curious towards the interracial pieces and functions of life, but you are concerned with the most fragile form of life. I can relate to you on all levels in regards to your motivation to get into medicine, and wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete